Thursday, September 24, 2015

Europe final commentary

That took waaay too long! I apologize that I kept promising posts and it took so long for them to finally come! Maybe it would be better not to say anything and just do it (any project) when I have the opportunity, that'll probably be less stressful for everyone.

A few more words about the trip:

*I had the opportunity to do many "grown up" things, such as fly in an airplane for many hours, take a taxi, ride in a subway/train, go places-alone-in countries that I know very little about and have a difficult time communicating with people, take care of other people's children in countries that I know very little about and have a difficult time communicating with people...it was great to be able to follow M and A around, who knew what they were doing and where they were going, but it was also a great feeling to be able to be brave and trust that I'll go or do what I needed to do and it'll be okay.

*I got to get a passport for this trip, which received four stamps by the end of the trip.

*I finally got to experience customs and get a small view at what it may be like for people entering into my country. I didn't have anything to declare, but I did step on farmland within the last week of when I entered, so I needed to go in a different line and have a few more checks done.

*It was a unique experience to see my own country from outside of the country. "America" generally means the United States, even though America consists of more that just the U.S.   In all of the countries that we visited the pop culture of the U.S. is very very big. The first 'Avengers' movie was about to come out and there was a lot of advertising both in English and whatever their main language is in the area. I listened to radio stations in all of the countries I visited, they had their own local music or talk radio, but there was also a lot of popular stuff from America. Many of the people that we talked to, especially in Ireland and Switzerland, looked to the U.S. as a powerful country. It was also unique to see the newspapers U.S. Weekly and New York Times from outside of the U.S. I don't remember what was going on, but I recall thinking "don't put that in the paper!" about a few things. For one, those papers definitely don't represent the whole U.S. and two, people read those papers and unless they've seen or know otherwise, often believe that we are like that or believe whatever it is that is being published.  

*My perspective in many different ways has been changed because of this two week trip full of experiences. The News, History, Geography, Literature, etc. make more sense when I learn about those areas that I traveled.  I also, of course, made loads of observations about nearly everything, which I have been able to build on and apply to life in the past several years.

*I only got to talk to Jarom once, very briefly, and I got to email every few days. I sure missed my husband, even though I was having such great adventures! I hope to someday visit these countries again with Jarom!

I learned and experienced a whole lot more than what I've written, I have other pictures, brochures and some souvenirs from my trip. When I go to European restaurants, stores, or talk to people, I remember some of those lands that I visited so far away and so long ago. I am glad that I had the honor and privilege of traveling with this incredible family, have the experiences that I/we did, and get a glimpse at the lives of people in other "worlds".

The End!!